Dwarfism Awareness Month
October marks Dwarfism awareness month with events and celebrations planned across the world, our own Megaweekend is held at the end of October for this reason.
We are encouraging members of the community to raise awareness and share facts to shake off any misconceptions about the 200+ conditions that cause Dwarfism.
- 80% of people with restricted growth are born to parents of average height
- People with restricted growth can do just about anything a person of average height can – just sometimes in a different way
- The three most common types of Dwarfism are; Achondroplasia, Spondyloepiphyseal dysplasia congenita and Diastrophic dysplasia
- Dwarfism isn’t an intellectual disability – people with dwarfism have normal intelligence.
- Dwarfism occurs in all races and ethnicities
- Achondroplasia affects approximately 1 in 25,000 babies born in the UK